
I decided that what i did for the dove brief before was only showing one idea of beauty and seeing as though the aim is to broaden stereotypical views thought there should be more. So i expanded this idea and asked some lovely ladies what beauty meant for them and they said things like individuality, happiness, confidence in yourself and being natural. So I made a set of four cheesy ads using these four ideas of beauty and an image to represent these. I think they work much better now as a set because the images before were not really communicating individuality very well and the captions at the bottom i think work well now.
i did a few variations using blues and skin tones and printed them on 12 different papers. i was interested to see how the white bits - the shiny diamond in particular - would show up on a newsprint as these ads are for all press formats. I am now going to choose the best stocks to print each one on for the final ads. I have decided that they will be either one or two-colour prints but not using black because i want them to look gentle.
I don't think this response answers the brief because ive ignored the whole point of the brief which was to show images of disability in advertising. im a bit annoyed with myself for changing this brief because i was meant to be doing one just as it is.i did have another idea which would have fit in with what it wanted but i don't have the resources to get the photographs of people that i would need, and also i wanted to draw. I think if i'd spent more time on this brief i would have made the drawings look nicer because they are all quite gross apart from diamondy. I haven't really looked at any design to inform this which i should have but i wanted it to be really simple to fit in with Dove's values.
This brief has fit in with my design context because the message Dove are trying to promote goes against the trend in advertising at the moment. They have had a run of adverts showing 'real' women whilst other cosmetic companies continued to use the conventional, stereotypical 'ideal' image of beauty, making women who see these adverts feel inferior as they compare themselves to the young, airbrushed models and this can have very negative effects on women. This is why i saw this as socially responsible.

No comments:
Post a Comment