For the crit I showed the prospects.ac.uk brief and the support your local shops brief to get feedback on. Here are the feedback sheets i got back. I think the local brief is just about done which is good because i need to do more briefs. The careers one needs to go away really badly now so its just a case of putting it away.


Evaluation, focus, develop. Where i am at
My problem at the moment is the prospects brief. Because its changed so much its got out of control and ive messed it up. Now i feel really behind and like ive wasted a lot of time because i dont think there is sufficient work for the amount of time i have had. I think another 2 briefs before Easter is achievable. I am evaluating my progress and major decisions on this blog but i think i should have set days timetabled in when i do this to make sure i keep up. I don't think i have investigated illustration enough in terms of experimenting with my own way of working and also looking at other designers work. My research to date is stuck in a sketchbook (well most of it) because this has made it easier to organise and i can select the best bits out of it quite easily for the final outcome of design context. I am finding the idea of 'community' very appealing at the moment and i would like to run with this further - perhaps promote community organisations, local events or produce a local campaign. I need to ask someone in my small home town about the possibility of being involved in the design for a new youth club which is being established. Audiences i have identified so far are people who have certain morals, are interested in social issues, kids in school and charity givers (but this is particular to each brief.) I am trying to do work which benefits people in communities, either through the positive message it promotes, or by designing for organisations who aim to help/educate/encourage people. One problem i have come across at the moment is what briefs to do next and should i worry about them fitting exactly into my theme? i think i need to do a brief which is not written by me but then how do i make it appropriate to my subject? I have moved on from my initial starting point because it has become a lot smaller - i was going to do really heavy social issues like war, gender, health and now its much more light hearted and on a smaller scale e.g. supporting local shops. I need to keep a journal going and keep drawing but i feel like i don't have time. I need to access the digital print workshop quite a lot and i intend to do this on friday for one brief and next week sometime for the other.
DESIGN CONTEXT
To confirm my subject/theme:
First it was 'gender stereotypes' to fit in with my dissertation, then it was 'social issues', now it is 'design for community', with the over arching investigation of 'socially repsonsible design'. Illustration has always been the area of graphics that I have been looking at within these themes.
Ideas for chapters/categories in my final outcome
• What is socially responsible design?
• Use of illustration
• Design for the community
• Campaigns/social issues
Design Context Research activities that I still need to do
• See if I could contact David B. Berman, Adrian Shaugnessy and Steven Heller about theories of social responsibility in design
• Contact Adam Hayes to ask him about his illustration work, clients and socially responsible practice
• Contact Free Design Studio to ask about their clients and socially responsible practice
• Look at more design/illustration work for charities, community organisations, local events, non-profit organisations and campaigns.
• Research further meanings of socially responsible design
• Look for articles/books on demoralisation and responsibility in graphic design.
• Case studies of big and small companies and their values
• Print awful Change for life stuff
• Read the articles I have printed off the web
• Look at Jean Julien and print/photocopy
• Get/read these books: - 'The design of Dissent' Milton Glaser
- 'Citizen Designer' Steven Heller
- 'Do good design' David B. Berman
- 'How to be a graphic designer without losing your soul' Adrian Shaugnessy
- 'Design for society' N. Whiteley
- 'Design for the real world' Papenek
- Something by Buckminster Fuller
- 'Fingerprint: the art of using the hand made element in graphic design' Chen Design
Action Plan for FMP
• Make final changes to copy on local shops posters
• Print final posters and flyers for local shops
• Take photos of these in context.
• Get 2 more briefs - a campaign one, and one that isn't necessarily to do with social responsibility/ issues but make it so.
• Do leaflet for prospects brief
• Do a couple more posters with the jobs in big
• Do the design context research activities above and do some ideas for what form the final outcome for this could take

No comments:
Post a Comment