Monday, 16 March 2009

Cut - out illustration

I have been looking at a lot of illustrators who like to use a cut-out sort of look with paper because I enjoyed working this way for the conflict brief and i wanted to do the same kind of thing for the supporting local shops brief to make it look friendly.

Paul Rand
Paul Rand has a very well-known style which he manages to make work for both corporate work and personal projects like his children's books.  He uses very simple shapes and sometimes paper textures to create images.  













Rob Ryan

Rob Ryan's work uses more complicated shapes which he cuts straight out of paper. Sheesh, they are quite amazing. I don't think i want to do anything this complicated but I like his hand drawn type and I want to use this more.







What I did today
I did some posters today for the shopping local brief after looking at Paul Rand and Rob Ryan. I made some type by roughly tracing round real fonts (to make them look like I had cut them out of paper but in a quicker way) and used paper as the fills. I quite like the way these look because they look like they represent small shops because of the friendly style. I have done some that are mostly type and some which are a big image and a bit of type. I will take them to the crit on Wednesday to get feedback on which are best.



No comments:

Post a Comment